Help & FAQs
Tips to improve Wifi coverage
Tips to improve Wifi coverage
There are a number of things that you can try to help improve your Wifi coverage in your property.
Wifi is now critical in a household where numerous devices rely on good quality wifi to operate.
1. Location of your Wifi router
This is likely the most important part of ensuring you maximise the Wifi coverage inside your property. Ensure that the Wifi router is located in a central position within your house, this will give the greatest all round coverage. When you connect to NBN for the first time, you may have to connect to a different socket or in a different room in the house. If required you may need to invest in home wiring to relocate the router to a more central position.
2. Try alternative Wifi channels
Most Wifi routers will support a number of different Wifi channels. This can help if there are other Wifi networks nearby from neibouring properties. Microsoft have launched a tool called Wifi Analyzer to help identify the best channel for your needs.
3. Avoid interference
Certain appliances in the home can cause interference. This can include microwaves, cordless phones and other radio equipment. Try relocating your Wifi router away from these devices to see if this improves performance. It's recommended to purchase a dual band Wifi router. This can help in instances where interference is an issue.
4. Keep your Wifi password secure
If a neighbour has hijacked your Wifi connection they may be consuming all your bandwidth. Ensure that you use a Wifi password and ensure that it is not an easy one to guess - like 'password'.
5. Control your bandwidth
If you are suffering from slow speeds on your wifi - check what other devices are connected to the network and what they are doing. They may be downloading heavily which could be affecting your wifi performance on other devices.
6. Consider a new Wifi router
If you're still using an old router, you may wish to consider an upgrade. Wifi technology is constantly envolving and improving and a new device may improve your signal strength and Wifi data transfer speeds.
7. Check your Wifi router firmware is up to date
Most router manufacturers will update their on-board firmware. This is the software used to run the device. From time to time this software will be updated to improve the performance of the router.
Download your FREE Guide to the NBN
See our Privacy Collection Statement
Recent Help Articles
- Spend management and security tools
- List of BYO compatible NBN modem/routers
- Does Tangerine charge a speed change fee ?
- Do I need to cancel my ADSL after ordering NBN ?
- How to prepare for your NBN™ installation.
- Where can I find the Critical Information Summary for my plan ?
- How do I plug in my NBN™ router?
- Refer a Friend Special Offer - $50 Promotion
- Is there a charge if I need a technician installation appointment?
- Requirements to use your own BYO device for NBN